Printed from

Hope and Faith on the Go

Friday, 1 November, 2013 - 5:05 pm

On Tuesday I left, together with our son Leibel, to take part in the international conference of Shluchim (Chabad Rabbis). I thought I had my trip planned well, but as the saying goes "a mensch tracht un Got lacht" (a man plans and G-d laughs..)
Our flight was leaving Seattle on Tuesday night; we were on our way to Swartz Bay early afternoon, I was planning on spending the trip bonding with Leibel.

When we arrived at highway 99, we found ourselves in very heavy traffic that very soon became a long parking lot that wasn't moving anywhere. In the beginning it was just a little delay but as the clock ticked, we started to get a bit restless.

I called Chani just to find out that our tickets were for the last flight from Seattle to New York, so if the traffic were to continue a bit longer, we'd have to think of alternative plans.

As we drove about ten km in two hours, I started to slowly hint to Leibel that we may need to change the plans, perhaps we would sleep over in Vancouver and take a flight the next day, but then Leibel would have missed one of the highlights of the trip. Leibel didn't want to hear about it, "we must go tonight, we will make it" he said.

Leibel saw that I was giving up. While I started to think where should we stay in Vancouver, Leibel handed me the IPad he was playing with.


"I made a picture of us standing in traffic and this is a car, we think that we will never get out of this, but Mashiach may come and we will all be traveling to Yerushalaim" he said and pointed to the thought cloud with a picture of the Beit Hamikdash (the Holy Temple) in Jerusalem. 

A few minutes later the traffic cleared and we were on our way. I looked at the time and with a simple calculation I figured that if the border was clear and there were no delays at all, we would be there forty minutes before the flight; we would need to park the car, check in etc. etc.

Looking at Leibel's hopes rising, I couldn't give up. I decided to give it all I had.

To make the long story short, there was no wait at the border, and no delays. We got to the airport thirty-five minutes before the flight; the airline staff was extremely nice and escorted us through security to the gate and -after rushing through the Seattle airport which is more like a big maze - we made it just on time to board the plane.

It was only when the airplane started taking off that I realized what had happened here. I knew how we made it and how we can make it to our other destinies and goals of life, with perseverance that comes from hope and faith.


Comments on: Hope and Faith on the Go

Stan & Lindy Shortt wrote...

Dear Rabbi Kaplan & Leibel,
Nes Gadol Haya Po!!
BH you both made it safely. We hear that Leibel had an amazing time with his chevrah.
Shabbat Shalom!